Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Desert Island's "Now In Theaters"

I have a problem in that I've never been able to make a list of my favorite movies. Too many times, I have seen a fairly good movie and then become smitten with it. I will look up everything about the movie, force other people to watch it, rewatch it multiple times myself, overindulge in fan commentaries, and then slowly forget about the obsession a few months later (as a new film takes its place).

As the pattern persists, it is obvious how skewed my "favorite films" list becomes. Luckily, I have discovered the formula to what my brain considers not just a great movie, but an absolute definitive favorite. It has to be able to stand the test of time, meaning my infatuation with each film must prove itself to be long-term. Additionally, I have to be able to watch it endlessly without any decrease in enjoyment. And finally, the film must have something special about the content. It can't just be a visually appealing movie, but a film with great pacing, well developed characters, and a unique or brilliantly executed story.


My top three:


Matilda

Matilda is very precious to me, as it's been my number one favorite since I was a child. In fact, I have difficulty ever talking about Matilda because I love it so much and fear that I cannot convey its preciousness to me no matter what I say. I also cannot watch Matilda casually or with most other people, as the very thought of sharing the experience of watching this movie with a person I don't like seems too personal or too intimate. A small fragment of the reason that I love this movie is perhaps the character Matilda herself, who is intelligent and independent enough to take care of herself, and who spends the first part of the movie befriending books because she has no one else. Another great thing about this movie is the encouragement of finding a family rather than enduring your own. Many modern movies seem to focus on families consisting of a bunch of misfits that can barely stand each other, and while it's true some that families can be worth the difficulty of being around each other, representation of non-nuclear happy families is lacking, and Matilda rights the scale a small degree.



Secondhand Lions

Secondhand Lions is another really awesome representation of choosing your non-nuclear family. The film weaves together two storylines- one in the present, following a boy and his two uncles, and the other a fantastical tale about his uncles' pasts. It's both funny and wonderfully charming, teaching the audience about being a good person and fighting for things that you believe in and find worth protecting. The cast is awesome and I really really love the script. I feel like a better person after watching this movie.




Wreck-it Ralph

I made a post a few weeks ago about my indignation over Wreck-It Ralph losing an Academy Award to Brave, and I still feel robbed. It was exceedingly difficult for an animated movie to beat How to Train Your Dragon on my favorites list, but I think Wreck-it Ralph has done it. The character development is flawless, and I adore the fact that this movie isn't necessarily a "hero doesn't know who he is" film, but more of a "character knows who he is, but just doesn't like himself" kind of film. We could use more of those, it's so much more interesting than the typical hero plotline. Ralph, as a technical "bad guy" teaches viewers that you are good enough as you are, and you don't have to change your identity to be happy.


Other honorable mentions that I feel I must at least name include:

 Amélie

 Léon the Professional

How to Train Your Dragon
Inglourious Basterds 
and
Young Frankenstein


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment